Alive and Well and Living in Absentia

The Dharma Bum: Part Deux

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I caught the last hour of the leader's English debate the other night... not much new there. I am still ultimately confused as to why the Bloc gets to participate and not the Green Party. Each one has about as much chance as the other of winning the federal election. It confuses me as to why Gilles Duceppe - or anyone who is as vehemently anti-Canadian as he is should be allowed to run at all. We're trying to elect the prime minister of Canada after all, not the prime minister of Quebec. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well eat your ballot if you're going to vote for the Bloc, for all the good that will do.

Stephen Harper - whose support has been up since the debate, simply creeped me out. It appeared as though his media relations/publicist must have told him to keep it loosey-goosey before the debate. Appear well-rounded, and smile a lot. Have you ever gotten that birthday card? The one with the picture of a grimacing old lady on the front, and inside it says: "I AM Smiling"? That was Stephen Harper. Every time he looked directly into the camera I felt as though he was stealing my soul.

Although Jack Layton is usually portrayed as the yappy little dog, nipping at all the big dog's heels, I guess it was Paul Martin's turn on debate night. Desperately trying to kick it into high gear to gain back some points, Martin came up short and may have done more damage than good. His feeble and desperate attempt to get Stephen Harper to bite at the 'not withstanding' bone was pretty weak. Did he honestly think Harper would support him?! The conservatives have made it abundantly clear that using the clause will be the first thing they do should they get into power!

As lame as Martin's bear-baiting was, I was impressed with his stand on Canadian unity. The sponsorship scandal has made this election into a smear campaign. And the only people that have benefited from this are the people of Quebec. I don't agree with under the table dealings, and I certainly don't condone the events that led up to the Gomery inquiry - but you have to ask yourself if you were prime minister and one of your provinces was threatening to separate... wouldn't it be worth it to throw a little money their way to at least keep them sitting tight? And if a bribe of this nature is so damn bad - why did these certain Quebec businesses choose to accept it? Maybe because it's win/win for them, and it puts the rest of Canada out the original $13 million plus the $60 million it cost to host an inquiry.

I don't mean to sound anti-Quebec - I'm not. What I am however, it anti-anti-Canadian. Besides, these comments are not to be taken too seriously. I am after all, no political analyst. I am merely a fence sitter with a deep seated fear of conservatives running my country.

Anyhoo... I was going to review my first cd purchase of 2006, but I'm tired from building IKEA furniture. Stupid flarken pieces of crap!!! I also spent the past three evenings editing my sister's IB English paper on "The Metamorphosis" which is apparently by a gentleman by the name of Frank Kafka. And here I was all these years thinking it was Franz... silly me.

However, to end this post on a happy note, here it is, your moment of zen...
Ok... apparently I don't get a moment of zen because for some reason I can't upload images from my own computer. I guess I'll see you tomorrow then.

2 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger soapyDave said...

good 'ol Frank! what did you get from IKEA?

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger The Dharma Bum said...

A TV stand and a cd stand. I really needed a new bookshelf and they had a bunch in the as-is, but I couldn't carry it on my own. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home